Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Swimming Upstream

Peace and quiet is one of the hardest things to find when you have two small children. My boys have sensors in their brains that go off the second mommy wakes up. I’m up before 6 most days, and you would think that would be early enough to sneak in some time. But it never fails I get my tea, get out the Word, and after ten minutes if I’m lucky, the boys sensors start going off. But if I have to read or pray with Nick jr. blasting in the background so be it. I’ve already spent so much of my life making excuses about how I didn’t have enough time. I’m done giving God just what’s left over. When you are passionately in love with someone, you go to great lengths to spend time with them.


A part of Crazy Love that stood out to me was when he said, “If life is a river, then pursuing Christ requires swimming upstream. When we stop swimming, or actively following Him, we automatically begin to be swept downstream or just slowly start to float away.” I know this is the truth for me. Two days and I can feel it. An hour on Sunday isn’t enough to sustain me through all the distractions of the week.


I went to dinner with a friend and she was telling me about how when she first got saved it felt so good. She was seeking Him wholeheartedly and her life was changing. But then slowly the feeling went away. She couldn’t understand why. I’ve felt this way so many times too. And the reason why is because we get so busy that we stop seeking. The more we seek Him, the more we find Him. When we stop, that’s when we start gravitating towards other means of fulfillment, when we start to float away. This morning was one of those mornings where I got really frustrated and was like God I really do want to spend time with you, it just gets so hard. I started making excuses and then I stopped myself. This is GOD! He deserves the best that I have. How could I even compare Him to the load of laundry or sink full of dishes that really did not need to be started at that moment. And it doesn’t have to be a long devotional time. Just sit, be quiet, you can even let Him do the talking. Here is where I tie in my song that never gets old


Mercy me-Word of God speak
I'm finding myself at a loss for words. And the funny thing is its okay.
The last thing I need is to be heard. But to hear what you would say. All that I need is to be with you and in the quiet hear your voice.

(photo found here)
Related Posts with Thumbnails