Wednesday, March 24, 2010

happy ending

Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.”
– From my fortune cookie last night.

So I guess another way of putting it could be if I'm unhappy, it's my fault?

But I liked this one, it was much better than “You need to find a new exercise routine.” This one made me think. Made me consider what is my outlook on life? If I had to describe it in one word what word would it be? The word would change depending on the season I was in, but after thinking about it for a little bit I decided my one word would be temporary.

Lately I’ve been trying to teach myself to focus on the big picture, to think eternally. Literally two minutes after I posted no place like home I got a call from a friend telling me that another one of our friend’s mom had passed away. It was a shock. She was so young, probably only a couple years older than my mom and her kids are around my age, and grandkids my kids age. Part of me was deeply saddened for her family and the other part joyful because I know that now she is walking with Jesus. I went to her memorial service Monday night and it was beautiful. Her boys were on stage playing their mom’s favorite praise and worship songs. And the stories they told really touched my heart. She and I had a lot more in common than I ever realized. She had a wonderful story, a beautiful life and because she lived it completely for God, her story had a very happy ending.

So when this happened I was just like ok God you must really want me to get this point. I really started to understand just how short life really is and that any passing minute could be my last. Now I just have to believe it enough that it changes the way I live. “For death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.” Ecclesiastes 7:2 So if my outlook on life is that it’s a temporary thing then I need to make sure that each day counts for eternity. And the key point to that is remembering that in the movie of life I’m not the star. From the very beginning of time and long after I’m gone it’s still always going to be about Him. So Lord help me to remember that everything was created by you and for you, which includes me, so help me to make this temporary life count for something special in your big picture. I don't want to just live to live for these short years, but I want my days to count for the next life, because that one is never-ending.

So I agree with confucious that my happiness is intertwined with my outlook on life, because living each day as if it were my last brings assurance and confidence and overall happiness.

(photo from here)
Related Posts with Thumbnails