Wednesday, March 17, 2010

no place like home


"For us this is the end of all stories...But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world had only been the cover & title page: now at last they were beginning chapter one of the greatest story,which no one on earth has read, which goes on forever and in which each chapter is better than the one before."  C.S. LEWIS

God will impress certain things on my heart during different times in my life and right now I feel like He’s really urging me to really understand this one point-this is not my home. The end of my life here on this earth is not the end of my life. I’m just passing through. “For we were born yesterday…our days on earth are as a transient as a shadow.” Job 8:9 “The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever.” 2 Corinthians 4:18 Message
If we believe in Jesus and are living our lives for Him we should treat this place as a temporary residence and not get too cozy. C.S. Lewis such a smart guy said “all that is not eternal is eternally useless.” I really like this quote because it reminds me that when I get frustrated over things like finances or petty everyday problems, these things are so insignificant in the big picture. I don’t need to become so overwhelmed by temporary things. God is preparing a place of rest for me so instead of dwelling on the messy things of now I can focus on eternity.

I had a dream last week. It was quite an unusual one for me because if you know me you know that normally I am terrified of anything having to do with the end of times. I don’t like hearing about it, or watching movies on it. It all frightens me. But this dream was as end of times as it gets and the ironic thing is I was at complete peace in my dream, even happy. I woke up and was like WOW! What a surprise to me. I really believe that it was God telling me that scary things may happen in my lifetime and if they do I don’t have to be scared of them because He will be with me. I don’t have to hold on to this life so hard, because this is just a stop in the journey. Being with Him in the end is the destination, that’s home.

I know I write a whole lot about happiness and the pursuit of happiness but that’s not what it’s all about. It’s about treating each day as if it were your last and making those days count for eternity.

I watched this video this morning and it made me cry and it made me so very excited. Check it out.

(photo from here)
Related Posts with Thumbnails